Thursday, December 20, 2007

Holiday Fever

Yesterday afternoon, after regularly finding a normal temperature for days, Henry registered a fever. A quick call to the Oncologist in Baltimore confirmed what we knew we'd need to do, back to the hospital. Because he was acting normally with no signs of delirium, vomiting or drowsiness, they recommended that we drive directly to the Hopkins Emergency Department.

Two hours later we were pulling into Johns Hopkins ER and spent the remainder of the afternoon and early evening there. We were fortunate enough to receive care from a very caring, former Oncology nurse there who was familiar with our needs as well as the staff that normally cares for Henry. We were transfered to the third floor this time as our normal floor, eight, was full. This floor is called the Pediatric Clinical Research Unit (PCRU). This is reserved for children on protocols that require monitoring and careful documentation, etc. It is comfortable, but unfamiliar, so we'll acclimate over the next 24 hours to a slightly different environment and routine. In the spirit of being thankful for small things, the adult bed is more comfortable, albeit smaller.

This floor also has given me yet another perspective on hope. A quote is right outside our room:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.
- Ambrose Redmoon

So we had an OK night. Henry slept well once asleep but woke early to a painful tummy ache. After several bowel movements over the course of an hour, he told me "my tummy feels much better". We talked to Grandma Linda and Mommy on the phone, ate some breakfast and we're now watching what seems to be his new favorite movie, "Firehouse Dog". Which I'd recommend to anyone with young boys. Firetrucks and dogs in the same movie? Come on, that just can't really be beat.

I find my mood in the hospital to be improved. I guess in some way I feel like we're doing something. The onus of attending to a potential fever and the anxiety of it descending at any time has passed for now. The best part now is actually that his temperature has come down again, again, so different than the last time. I checked with the nurse and his counts seem to be bouncing back already now too. We may actually be able to be home on Christmas after all.



Finally - Henry is in a good mood and has enjoyed talking on the phone. If you'd like to call please do so between 10am and 6pm EST. Henry likes answering but he takes a minute, so be patient. Also, if its a bad time please don't take offense as we'll either not answer or let you know to try later. Our number for room 316 is 410.502.4127.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Henry,

I hope you are feeling well and are on your way home soon. I bet you can't wait for Santa!! I was reading what your new favorite movie is and I haven't seen that one yet. I will take your Daddy's advice and watch it with Zeb this weekend. I think of you often!!

Love,
Ms. Shanda

Anonymous said...

Wow Henry. You never cease to amaze me! I am so thrilled that your fever is gone and your tummy feels better. I left a very ...warm...present on your doorstep. Ms. Lindys mom made it for you. I think you will really like it!

So get better soon and find your gift on your doorstep!

Love, Ms. T

Anonymous said...

Henry,
Merry Christmas guy! I know Santa
has lots of great stuff for you...get home soon!
Tell your sisters hello from your cousins in Tennessee!
Merry Christmas to all of you!

Cousin Susan and Cody!