Thursday, November 1, 2007

Into the Unknown

It begins today, our journey down the road of chemotherapy. We're running around this morning trying to get everything ready. Its funny because a couple weeks ago we left for a soccer game with no prep and ended up in the hospital for a week. Clean underwear is nice though. :)

Henry and I 'camped' out last night in his bedroom. We've moved his crib into our room but we moved the mattress back to the floor in his room covered by a sleeping bag. I slept on the floor next to him with my feet sticking out of my daughter's pink flowered sleeping bag. Before we laid down, he insisted on having cookies - 'In case we get hungry'. 'OK' I said - I'm doing a lot more of that kind of acquiescing lately. So we had cookies at 2am and left crumbs in the bed. I've never been so happy to have been awakened in the middle of the night as this last night. He didn't cry tonite when he awoke - he just whispered, 'Daddy?' and we were off to the potty. It allowed for a mercifully quiet night for my sleep deprived wife and mother.

We were up early watching TV. He asked for some Halloween candy and I said - yep - OK. He forgot about it though before we could get to it. The girls are off to school and we're about out the door. Before we left I wanted to post some pictures of the last few days. We have so many, but I'm running out of time.

One thing I want to make sure I take time for, as you all have so generously, is to thank you. If you're reading this now, I thank you and love you all. I have to say - I'm scared, really scared for what he will have to endure. I know he's a brave little boy. He'll probably handle it better than we will. I can't thank you all enough for the love and support you have provided us. We feel embraced by the outpouring we've received. We have activities galore for the hospital. Our girls are giddy with their new bears, toys and games. You are taking care of us and we appreciate it deeply.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help but cry every day when I log on here in the fear of the unknown that you face, yet the strength & perseverence you demonstrate. Isn't it amazing that which God gives us the grace to endure? You realize AFTER the fact: 'man, how did I get through that?', but somehow you just did. I pray every single day for Henry - for healing to come & for strength to endure that which he's to endure. And I pray for you parents - I know not the emotions you must tolerate right now . . . but I pray that Christ be with you. And I pray for the siblings - because they must have a million questions and fear in abundance too. I am the mother of two boys, so I know only how mine would react should something happen to the other. I work at Glade Church and want you to know that along with everyone here, I have also put your dear, precious son and your whole family on many prayer chains around the country with various friends. Find strength & peace in Christ always. Laura T. Kangas

Anonymous said...

Many prayers are going up for Henry and your family. Miracles happen every day.

Remember this!

Anonymous said...

Reading all your stories and hearing how much you are appreciating every moment has been a lesson for me. Thank you for teaching me to smile when I'm also awakened for the 5th time in the middle of the night. I'm thinking of all of you all the time!

Love,
Shanda

Anonymous said...

We can not imagine the feelings you are dealing with. I sit here with tears in my eyes thinking of Henry and your entire family.
We love you all and hope Henry
is doing much better soon!

God Bless you all!

Susan Herren

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you everyday there is not a day that goes by that I am not on this site reading the stories and the updates. We are praying for you all every morning and night. May God be with you all.

Laura

Anonymous said...

Bryan & Tara -

Fred and I have been thinking of you and your family since we got the email. We are sending our love & prayers your way.

Lori & Fred Roberts

Anonymous said...

Well, the time is now here. And I can't imagine the fear that you and Tara are experiencing. I am so thankful that little Henry has done so well. It did my heart so good to see that wonderful smile of his as he was racing me with his Cruckie. I will continue to keep your family in my prayers. Much love to you all.
t.

Erin~~The Classy Rabbit~~ said...

I just discovered your blog through a friend. Your Henry is such a sweet, brave little boy and the incredible strength that you and your family display during this most difficult time is very admirable and inspirational. My prayers are with you, your family and little Henry every day. I have several friends and family members praying for all of you as well. I pray for Henry's complete healing as well as your continued strength, hope and faith in our Lord. He will never leave your side, trust in him faithfully and he will never let you down. May you always seek comfort in Him. God Bless you and your family and God Bless Henry. I will continue to pray.

Blessings,
Erin

Anonymous said...

Check the blog every day and just wanted to let you know your family is always in my thoughts and prayers.

Holly D.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with all of the family.

nance

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
I know you are starting into a very scary time for everyone but reading through all the messages I also see that prayers for Henry and all of you are flying around everywhere. Never doubt the power of prayer. We will continue to pray for you all and keep on our prayer requests at church.God bless you all.

Dave Silvester said...

Hi Bryan and Tara,

Although I haven't posted until now, I have been following Henry's story from the start. A great attitude and strong support are the two most important weapons for the battle -- and Henry has both!

Lori and I are sending love and prayers from Pittsburgh every day.

Dave